Protein is the building block of the body and is responsible for the structuring of the muscles. When one thinks of gaining weight or body muscles the first thing that comes to mind is in taking a lot of protein. But at times food intake may not be the most effective solution, having a lot of lean meat may not be that useful. So what can be the most effective solution to this? Protein powders and whey powders are the answer.
One can find various supplements in the market, but two of the most common ones are:
- Soy : it is one of the most common choices when it comes to supplements. Soy protein is great for reducing cholesterol and also for reducing the problem of osteoporosis. Also for those women who are going through the phase of menopause, soy protein can be quite effective.
- Whey : whey protein is another effective and popular form of protein supplement. It is good to be used daily after workout sessions. It is effective in reducing stress and also in increasing energy levels. Also, it can be digested easily.
There are few other not-so-popular options as well as hemp, rice, milk, pea, etc.
When to use a protein supplement?
While taking any type of supplement, the timing and the dosage is the most important thing otherwise you may not see the needed result. Therefore, to get the desired result, from protein powder, you should keep in mind the ultimate objective of taking protein.
If you want to control the weight and keep a balanced body mass, then having protein in each meal can be the best solution. Also, pair the protein intake with some snacks to break the monotony.
And if the objective is to gain muscle and recover from the muscle weariness after exercise, then having protein powder after exercise can be a great option. The protein helps in repairing and growing the muscles.
The amount of protein that should b consumed in a single go as part of each meal, should be 3 ounces. But this amount can be calibrated according to the objective and person’s ability to handle the protein.
How to pick the right protein powder?
For every purpose, there is a different protein powder available in the market. Some points to keep in mind for making the right choice are:
- Lose weight: for losing weight choose powder with no added dextrins, maltodextrins and sugars. Also, make sure that they don’t have any BCAAs in them.
- Build muscles : for building muscles, the biological value of the protein powder should be high. Choose whey isolates for this purpose.
- Vegan : vegetarians or vegans should opt for plant-based protein and not milk-based protein.
- Kidney problem : those who have kidney disorders should not have a lot of protein supplement and should keep the biological value low.
- Check the ingredients : always check for ingredients before picking any protein shake or supplement. If you are diabetic then avoid added sugars, if you have digestion problem then avoid lactose sugars and also check for any allergen in case of allergy susceptibility.